Home Remedies to treat cold and flu
Cold and flu are the most common diseases in the world. Although, there are many home remedies to treat cold and flu, but still everyone suffers from it. People of all ages have suffered from it and have experienced the symptoms of cold and flu. However, it is not a dangerous disease, but still it can give you a hell lot of problems. In this post, we will try to give you some of the best home remedies to treat cold and flu. But before that we need to understand what causes cold and flu, what is the difference between cold and flu and what are the symptoms?
What causes Cold?
A virus is enough to make you cold. This virus is present in the air because someone already suffering from cold sneezed or coughed it into the air. Now, when you inhale this virus, it moves to the back of the nose and attaches itself to the adenoid area. It starts reproducing there and within a few hours it starts its work. The reason for your mucous during a cold is that the body tries to defend itself by releasing mucous-gland secretions.
If you are suffering from a congestion, sore throat, coughing and sneezing, then you have caught cold. However, in addition to these symptoms, if you are suffering from fever, headache, fatigue, nausea and diarrhea, then there are very high chances that you are suffering from flu too. Cold and flu remain for 2-3 days or a maximum of 1 week, but if the situation is worse, nothing can be said. Although, there are many medicines and tablets to cure it, but home remedies to treat cold and flu does not cost you much and you don’t have to go in the out. Now the main point arises is that what are some of the best home remedies to treat cold and flu.
Best home remedies to treat cold and flu:
- Hot liquids– Drink as much as hot liquid you can. Hot liquids help in soothing sore throat and fights against congestion. Try a hot black tea with honey and lemon. Also, drink at-least eight or more glasses of water in a day to keep mucous membrane moist. It will thin the mucus so it would be easier to expel it.
- Gargle– It is the best way to soothe the throat pain. Add one teaspoon of salt with 250mL of warm water and gargle away. You can even add a squeeze of lemon to it as it will fight against bacteria and virus. Gargle at-least 4 times a day for quick recovery.
- Chicken Soup: It is the tried, tested and one of the best home remedies to treat cold and flu. It contains cysteine, which prevents white blood cells from causing inflammation, thus preventing large amounts of mucus from being produced. You can add garlic and ginger to it as these two kills the germs outright and helps in fighting against nausea. For even better results, you can add the red chili peppers as it contains capsaicin which helps in decongestant power.
- Vitamins: Many foods and beverages rich in certain vitamins can help you to fight against cold and flu. Orange juice is rich in Vitamin C and can help you in fast recovery. You can even go for strawberries, tomatoes and broccoli. You can even consider foods rich in Vitamin D and zinc. It was found in a recent research that they can actually fight the cold virus. If you are suffering from fever, you can take oil of oregano pills. These are rich in vitamins and minerals and can reduce the pain.
- Steam: Steam is the most popular home remedy for cold and flu. It shrinks the mucus membrane in nose & throat and encourages mucus to drain. Fill a bucket with hot water and try to inhale the steam by covering your face with towel or cloth. Add a few drops of thyme oil to it if possible. You can even use your blow-dryer for it. Just set the hair dryer on war, and hold it at 45-50 cm from your face and try to breathe air through your nose. Try to do it for at-least 2-3 minute.
- Rest: Rest is very much important. Don’t try to do any hard physical work as it will only hamper the recovery process. Also, try to remain calm and patient.
Quick tips and tricks for home remedies to treat cold and flu:
- Instead of sucking the mucus back to the nose, try to blow it off as much as you can.
- Use vapor rubs and neti pot is possible.
- If available, try soaking your feet in a mustard foot-bath.
- Use napkin or handkerchief while coughing and sneezing.
Now you know some of the best home remedies to treat cold and flu, so get well soon.